What Kind of Modesty Does 1 Timothy 2:9 Mean?


This post takes a look at the Apostle Paul's admonition for women to dress modestly and sensibly in 1 Timothy 2:9. By examining the context of these words we will see that the modesty Paul is referring to is financial modesty. While being dressed appropriately is important, the Bible also teaches that how we dress and do our hair shouldn't be about showing off, or creating a culture of haves and have-nots. 

"Likewise, the women, when they pray, should be dressed modestly and sensibly in respectable attire, not with elaborate hairstyles and gold jewelry, or pearls, or expensive clothes." -1 Timothy 2:9

What kind of modesty does this verse refer to?

The common understanding is that Paul meant women should cover their bodies. I'm not arguing that women shouldn't be appropriately dressed. But if that's his point why doesn't the verse go more like this:

"Women should dress modestly and sensibly in respectable clothes, not with low-cut tops, short skirts, or spandex outfits."

Paul's writing later in this chapter that many younger women are eschewing marriage (5:14) seems to verify that these women weren't necessarily dressing in "husband-catcher" outfits. The immodesty was not about revealing clothing, but about flaunting wealth and social status.

"Not with elaborate hairstyles and gold jewelry, or pearls, or expensive clothes."

What if Paul meant financial modesty?

Expensive means the clothes cost a lot of money. As do gold jewelry, and real pearls. An elaborate hairstyle implies you are wealthy enough to pay someone to do your hair--whether a hired stylist or a servant--or at least that you are wealthy enough to have plenty of free time to do it yourself. This is obvious in our world today, and it's also worth noting that according to Kelly Olson in her book Dress and the Roman Woman, apparel and hairstyle conveyed visually the rank of women - whether they were citizens, freeborns, or slaves - marital status, and sometimes even their moral standing or age.

By suggesting that women not take part in flaunting these signs, Paul promoted his belief in a world free of rank, and made for a faith community where slaves could be elders and so on. In the kingdom of heaven, no one is weighed down by their societal rank or looked down on because of their social cast. That's a lot easier to do when we aren't sending signals to each other about our wealth.

It's time that church communities dispense with showing off their wealth and social power. It is completely backwards to live a life professing Jesus while surrounding ourselves with the latest in fashion, technology, and vehicles. Fashion should not be a contest, and displaying conspicuous consumption should be frowned upon. Paul is instructing us not to dress in ways that display financial prosperity or social rank.

"But my clothes aren't expensive." You may have gotten great deals on your outfits, but do you need 35 of them? In a world of fast fashion that is dirt cheap, variety is the new expense. This is where dressing sensibly comes in. Is fast fashion and its offenses to rights of workers and the environment a sensible thing to be involved in? Some stores release new items every week with the intention of making you feel out of style and in need of a wardrobe update. Those who follow along and keep up with all the trends can inadvertently send this message to those that don't: You're out of style. You are not enough. You don't belong.

What if Paul was trying to promote an environment that was free from this kind of distraction? I am all for looking nice. But what if when we prepare for congregation we choose to focus on our hearts being in the right place, rather than our hair? What if we work to empower women in our congregations and churches to worship YHWH free from those plaguing thoughts of comparison? If we spend less time promoting our lifestyle and focusing on making ourselves look good, we can make the kingdom of God a place where all people not only are welcome, but feel like they belong.

8 comments:

  1. To me I think the in todays world the more important message is not how expensive ones clothes are or if they have on some pretty jewelry...its if they are wearing things that are making people see the shape of their body. Low cut attire that can be enticing causing men to sin. I don't think they need to dress like a muslim woman or dress like with skirts that touch the ground but they should be dressing enticingly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you that women (and men) shouldn't be dressed inappropriately, and that is a problem in much of western culture. That is a fair concern, but Scripture seems to be talking about another type of modesty in this case. The things Paul lists are typically of much more interest to women than men, so Scripture seems to be calling attention to the interactions between women and how they are influenced by dress. Can how a woman is dressed caused sins in other women, such as jealousy?

      Delete
  2. Shabbat shalom! I hadn’t thought of this scripture that way, but I think this is a good insight. I think especially at that time, a woman’s dress spoke volumes about her status, and she was judged, whether prestigious or lowly, based on it. And I think we fall some into it today as well. Modesty and purity are so much heart conditions, and I don’t think that’s taught enough. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Rachel Anne! I agree modesty and purity start in the heart and that's not something you hear much about today!

      Delete
  3. Great points! I never saw 1 Timothy 2:9 in the light of expensive clothing until now. Modesty and Humility do go together. My insecurities used to dictate how I dressed, now I dress to impress my Creator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words! I love that sentiment!

      Delete
  4. Hello, I appreciated your article! I was curious if you have a recemended books on biblical femininity and modesty and other related topics. ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favorite book I've read that addresses Biblical femininity is Guardian Angel by Skip Moen. It's very different from most books on the topic!

      Delete

Upcoming Biblical Holiday Dates 2026

Here's When the Biblical Holidays Happen in 2026

This is when the Biblical holidays happen in 2026. If you're looking for this year's dates for Passover, Unleavened Bread, First Fru...