DIY Challah Cover

DIY Challah Cover for Shabbat | Land of Honey

Pin It
Have you ever priced challah covers?! A while ago I decided a challah cover would not only be a useful way to keep bread fresh (wrapping bread in a towel is the precursor to plastic bags), but also make for a super cute Instagram photo or two. So I started looking at options online, and let's just say there aren't an abundance of options under $50. Frustrating as a challah cover is basically a - I'm sorry - glorified napkin. So I decided to making one was in order.
DIY Challah Cover for Shabbat | Land of Honey
Unlike most "easy DIYs" this project is actually simple and will only take about 30 minutes or less from start to completion. It's also an affordable way to get your hands on a challah cover. I found a couple of white napkins at a thrift store (18 by 12 and 17 by 10) for 50 cents each. The most expensive supply was the iron on transfer pens ($10 for 4) but I've had fun with them on a few other projects and they've lasted pretty well. More on those other projects in the future. :)
DIY Challah Cover for Shabbat | Land of Honey
Here is what you will need:
Napkin or thin towel
Shabbat shalom design (Download Hebrew here or English here)
Iron on transfer pen (I used this brand in black and blue)
Iron
Sheet of newspaper or piece of cardboard
DIY Challah Cover for Shabbat | Land of Honey
To make: Take your transfer pen and carefully color in the Shabbat shalom design. The ink from the pen is the only thing that's going to show up on your cover so be sure to color it in carefully, to your style. I went with pretty solid color for the English design and less intense to give the Hebrew a more watercolor effect. I like them both but it's up to you!

A couple things about the downloads. Yes, they look super strange. They are backwards so they show up correctly after the ironing transfer. The whole time I was coloring I was like, "this can't possibly be right!" but it worked out. I also printed them off in black for myself before realizing a lighter ink would make it easier to tell where I had colored with the pen. Enjoy me learning the hard way.
DIY Challah Cover for Shabbat | Land of Honey
It's hard to see but I used a small piece of tape to secure my design. Be sure to avoid it with the iron though. You can also decide if want the design to be centered or not. Then, iron! I went slow and steady, making sure to go over each letter completely a couple of times. I was really pleased that neither color ran at all. And voila! That's it. You now have your very own custom challah bread cover.
DIY Challah Cover for Shabbat | Land of Honey
I've really liked having these around. Not only does it add a special feel to the dinner table on Shabbat but it actually does work really well to just wrap leftover bread in and leave on the counter. I had leftovers for a few days and was happy with the freshness. It didn't seem any different than storing it in a plastic bag. Plus, one less thing to do for Shabbat, right?
DIY Challah Cover for Shabbat | Land of Honey
A bunch of you asked about this bread on social media. It's a no knead challah made from einkorn wheat and it is crazy good! Repeat: no kneading required. Recipe to come.
DIY Challah Cover for Shabbat | Land of Honey
I hope this is a project that's useful to you! Are challah covers something you use? If not, I think you could do something similar and make special napkins for Shabbat. Let me know if you try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment