Faithful Mitzvoth

This weekend I heard a beautiful analogy. I was listening to a pastor and she spoke these words:

"I am not faithful to my husband because I am afraid of what he would do to me if I wasn't. I am faithful to him because I love him and want to honor him."

She went on to talk about the good things that come from faithfulness in marriage. A stable family for their children. Relationships filled with trust and peace. A home where everyone can flourish.

Yochanan 14:15 | Land of Honey

Pin It

Her point was this works the same way in our relationship to YHWH. We don't work to keep his commandments because we are scared of what would happen if we don't. We follow YHWH's instructions because we love him and want to bring honor to him. 

As Yeshua said in Yochanan 14:15:

"If you love me, keep my mitzvoth."

As we learned a few weeks ago, mitzvoth means YHWH's commands or obedient works of Torah. YHWH does not want us to reap the consequences of disobedience. He desires that we follow his ways so our lives may be filled with good things. If you love him, choose to honor him. The point isn't to avoid punishment or even to receive blessings in our lives. Simply honor and love him by keeping his word.


No comments:

Post a Comment